This angular antebellum Charleston house, built in 1860, is located at the corner of Meeting and Water Streets.
This is all that remains of the “old” Charleston Museum in Cannon Park. Fortunately, the contents were moved to the museum’s new location before it was consumed by fire. As it did in the old museum, the skeleton of a 40’4″ right whale hangs in the entry. In 1880, the whale had the misfortune of entering Charleston harbor where it was pursued and ultimately captured and brought ashore.
The sun going down behind the James Island Connector along the Ashley River. Coming from JI, the Connector feeds into Calhoun Street. When it was first conceived, it was supposed to feed right into the heart of the historic district on the significant colonial era Broad Street. Citizen outrage caused it to be moved to the more appropriate current location.