Built c 1852, the handsome house to which these entrances belong is the only antebellum house on the block of Logan between Tradd and Broad Streets that survived the Great Fire of 1861.
A gorgeous start to a Charleston day. Adger’s Wharf, on the right, has been used by the Charleston Branch Pilots Association as its home since 1890. Their role of guiding ships safely in and out of Charleston harbor (a function which they trace back to ancient Greece and Rome) is critical to the operations of the very busy port.
These handsome houses on Church Street were built around 1906-07, replacing an industrial complex owned by the Charleston Hydraulic Press Company. The use of the blue on the porch ceilings should help ensure they will not have “haints” (or evil spirits, ghosts).
Holy City Morning
The spire of the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist on Broad Street— the largest church in Charleston — glows in the early morning light.
Charleston Harbor in the early morning light. Right next to where passengers of the cruise ships get on and off, there is a small pier and building which houses the restaurant Fleet Landing. The US Navy built that pier and building in 1942 to off-load sailors and supplies, which were used in the general maintenance and re-supplying of ships.
This little pink house can be found on King Street, just a few steps from White Point Garden.
Happy Valentine’s Day
This pretty heart is on the door to 78 Church Street. While they are now combined into one house, originally 76 Church was a separate house — and it is where DuBose Heyward wrote the novel Porgy (which was turned into the famed opera, Porgy and Bess).
Early morning along Broad Street. Originally called Cooper Street, the name was changed because the citizens of Charleston were very proud of the width of the street — which was unusually wide for colonial times.
Church Street in the moments before sunrise is so beautiful. St. Philip’s Church has a long and storied history — including that its rector during the American Revolution was also the founding president of the College of Charleston.
This former stable and carriage house, built in the 1890’s on Gibbes Street, was repurposed into a pretty unusual looking Charleston house in 1968. The original house it once served, which faced Legare Street, no longer exists.
- « Previous Page
- Next Page »