This handsome house on Tradd Street was built around 1765. Back then it had a very different view — both of “Councellair’s Creek,” which is long gone, and the marshes of the Ashley River.
While it wasn’t used to communicate with satellites, the tower of St. Philip’s Church was part of another form of communication system from 1893 until 1915. The steeple held the rear light in the Fort Sumter Range Lights — which were used to guide ships through main channel of Charleston Harbor. The front light was at Fort Sumter and the rear light was in the church tower. The system is still in operation today, with the rear light now situated in a tower built for that purpose in the harbor.
Being on the walkway in the back of Joe Riley, Jr. Waterfront Park is is a bit like being in a pointillist painting, or somewhere in France. Waterfront Park, one of the jewels of Charleston, is named after the long time mayor of Charleston (he served 10 terms — 40 years!) who conceived of the park and fought until it became a reality.
This little pink house, c. 1750, set back from Tradd Street is certainly eye-catching, but did you know the potted flowers and plants aren’t real? Shhhhh….