This beautiful row of buildings on St. Michael’s Alley were all built around 1848. They fell into disrepair and around 1918 were bought and restored by Susan Pringle Frost — the founder of the Preservation Society of Charleston.
This very cool looking post revolutionary building is part of a small complex called Coates Row, which fronts on East Bay Street. Built to house commercial uses, it still does today. This view is from East Elliott Street.
The Josiah Smith House on Meeting Street was built c.1783. Meeting Street, while one of the oldest streets in Charleston, was not always called that. It was once referred to as “Old Church Street” (differentiating it from Church Street, which grabbed that name when St. Philip’s relocated there). The street’s name was changed to Meeting Street about when the Circular Congregational Church located there.
Joe Riley Waterfront Park is a great place to watch the sunrise. The beautiful park opened in 1989, one week after its scheduled opening — due to recovering from damage caused by the powerful and historic Hurricane Hugo.
This handsome house on Tradd Street was built in 1760. Included in the 1680 “Grand Modell” of Charleston, Tradd Street is said to be named after Robert Tradd, the first child of European descent born in the province.
The early morning light hitting N. Adgers Wharf, which is one the 8 beautiful cobblestone streets in Charleston.
This yard was once part of the property of the Williams Mansion, seen in the back. The Mansion was once named the “handsomest and most complete private residence in the South.” This is a view in from Church Street.
The layers of Charleston are fascinating. This wall is the side of Queen Street Grocery, which dates back to 1922. It’s one of the oldest corner stores in Charleston, and they make great crepes (Bill Murray has one named after him)… among other things. The building itself was built in 1869 and this wall is on the Logan Street side.
We’re #4, Er 3
The Citadel Square Baptist Church on Meeting Street opened in 1854. It was originally going to be named the “Fourth Baptist Church,” as it would be the fourth Baptist church in Charleston. But, one of the three already existing churches closed, so they picked the current name.
Pringle All The Way
This is the Robert Pringle House on Tradd Street, built in 1774. One of Charleston’s leading merchants, Pringle had previously built a couple of other houses on Tradd. He led a busy life, including in 1747 when he was on his way to England, he was captured by a Spanish privateer and imprisoned for a bit in St. Augustine, Florida.
- « Previous Page
- Next Page »