The beautiful Cooper River Bridge (ok, the Ravenel Bridge). When it opened in 2005, it actually replaced two rickety, intimidating spans — the John P. Grace Memorial Bridge (which opened in 1929) and the Silas N. Pearman Bridge (which opened in 1966). It is currently the third longest cable-stayed suspension bridge in the Western Hemisphere.
The now beautiful Georgian Houses that make up Rainbow Row didn’t always look so good. In the 1920’s, Susan Pringle Frost, the founder of the Society for the Preservation of Old Dwellings (now the Preservation Society of Charleston) bought six of the buildings which were then in near slum-like conditions. With that, she began one of the first preservation efforts in the United States, even though she did not do the restoration of those properties herself (that was begun by Dorothy Haskell Porcher Legge in 1931).
Dependency buildings in Charleston are usually found behind the main building or house and can be hard to spot from the street or other public space. This one, behind 68 Broad Street, can be seen over the wall that surrounds Washington Square Park (which honors George Washington) — next to City Hall.
A view across Broad Street towards Meeting Street. The intersection there is also called the Four Corners of Law. Why? The buildings on each corner of that intersection represent a different level of law — Federal (US Post Office and Federal Courthouse), State (Charleston County Courthouse — in which state law is enforced), City (Charleston City Hall) and ecclesiastical law (St. Michael’s Church). Some bonus trivia…did you know this phrase was first coined by the founder of Ripley’s Believe it or Not?