The blue color on the ceiling of this Charleston porch is intended to ward off evil spirits known as “haints.” Apparently, it is ineffective against sparkly skeletons or skulls.
This beautiful door, accessorized for the season, belongs to the Col. John Stuart House on Tradd Street — a wonderful Colonial era house (c. 1767). Col. Stuart, a native born Scotsman, had been appointed Superintendent of Indian Affairs for the southern British colonies in 1762, but in 1775 had to flee Charleston for stirring up the Native Americans against the colonists in the early stages of the American Revolutionary War.
While the lake was not bounded by its cement sides until 1885, the land and area around it was designated for public use by an Act of the Commons House of Assembly in 1768.
Fall in Charleston, as seen in the amazing garden at 29 Legare (Luh-gree) Street. The fountain is home to a family of turtles — you can spot a couple at the far side of the water.
This angular antebellum Charleston house, built in 1860, is located at the corner of Meeting and Water Streets.
This is all that remains of the “old” Charleston Museum in Cannon Park. Fortunately, the contents were moved to the museum’s new location before it was consumed by fire. As it did in the old museum, the skeleton of a 40’4″ right whale hangs in the entry. In 1880, the whale had the misfortune of entering Charleston harbor where it was pursued and ultimately captured and brought ashore.